This straightforward frittata recipe will likely be your new go-to for a wholesome egg-based dish you’ll be able to serve and luxuriate in any time of day. It retains and reheats nicely, which makes it a superb make-ahead meal. At this time I’m sharing my 2 favourite variations, a backyard vegetable frittata and a Mediterranean-inspired frittata. Make it precisely like I do, or mess around with the recipe and make it just a little otherwise each time!
What Is a Frittata?
If you happen to’ve by no means made one earlier than, right here’s a fast introduction to this scrumptious 1-pan meal. Whereas it could resemble a crustless quiche, you’re utilizing double the eggs and half the milk/cream, so the feel is extra sturdy and fewer creamy—extra like a thick, baked omelette.
You’ll start cooking it on the range, after which switch it to the oven to bake. So a skillet that may go from range to oven, corresponding to a forged iron skillet, is critical. Extra on this under.
Like every selfmade omelette, breakfast strata, or breakfast casserole, you’ll be able to customise the flavors of this frittata by selecting completely different add-ins. Make it precisely like one of many two methods I describe under, or mess around with the recipe and uncover your individual favourite model!
To sum up, you’ll love this frittata recipe as a result of it’s:
- Make-ahead pleasant
- Could be served heat or at room temperature
- Filled with protein and greens
- A lot simpler and quicker than making particular person omelettes
- Infinitely customizable!
The ratio of eggs to exploit is completely different: This frittata recipe makes use of 8 eggs and 1/2 cup milk, whereas my quiche recipe makes use of 4 eggs and 1 cup milk/cream. This implies the feel of a frittata is extra sturdy and strong, like an omelette; the feel of a quiche is creamier, and extra custard-like. A quiche is normally baked in a pie crust; and a frittata begins in a skillet on the stovetop, after which finishes baking within the oven.
You may, however I don’t advocate utilizing solely egg whites as a result of you’ll lose a whole lot of richness and taste that the yolks present. If you wish to attempt it, use 2 entire eggs and 6 egg whites. Or do this lightened-up crustless veggie quiche.
Base Elements in This Frittata Recipe
Let’s begin with the bottom substances of this frittata recipe. That is the start line you should utilize each time, after which add in your chosen greens and/or meats.
- 8 Giant Eggs: The inspiration of the frittata!
- 1/2 Cup Milk: Entire milk makes for one of the best texture, nevertheless it’s a small quantity, so it’s not an enormous deal to make use of low-fat or nondairy milk as a substitute. Use cream or half-and-half for a creamier texture.
- Salt & Pepper: These improve all the opposite flavors you’ll add to your frittata.
- 1 Cup Cheese: You need to use no matter sort of cheese you take pleasure in greatest in an omelette. Within the 2 frittata recipes detailed under, we’re utilizing shredded sharp cheddar and crumbled feta.
- Olive Oil & Garlic: Prepare dinner garlic in some olive oil to offer the frittata a flavorful begin.
Similar to with my recipes for quiche and breakfast casserole, you’ll be able to adapt this frittata recipe to your style, however when you’d like some inspiration, listed here are my 2 favourite variations:
Backyard Vegetable Frittata
This model comes from crew member Beth. She normally roasts the greens within the oven first, however we determined to chop that step to see if we might make the recipe faster… and it labored! So for this backyard vegetable frittata, you’ll cook dinner the greens within the skillet to melt them a bit earlier than you pour within the egg combination. Right here’s what to incorporate:
- Crimson Onion: Slice half a purple onion and add it to the pan with the garlic.
- Candy Potato: Chop up a candy potato, and cook dinner it with the onion and garlic.
- Crimson Bell Pepper: Diced purple pepper provides a pop of shade, however yellow or orange peppers style simply nearly as good!
- Zucchini: Slice a small zucchini, and halve any bigger rounds.
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese: In recipe testing, gentle cheddar’s taste bought misplaced in right here. Use a sharper cheese for the best-tasting vegetable frittata.
After the greens have softened on the range, pour the egg combination on prime and let it cook dinner for about 5 minutes earlier than transferring to the oven:
Mediterranean-Impressed Frittata Recipe
Frittata is Italian, and so naturally, Mediterranean flavors work splendidly in right here. There’s no must pre-cook these already-soft substances, so you’ll be able to add all the pieces proper into the egg combination. Right here’s what to incorporate:
- Artichokes: I take advantage of canned quartered artichoke hearts, and drain them nicely.
- Contemporary Spinach: Give the leaves a tough chop.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Halved cherry tomatoes add shade in addition to taste.
- Prosciutto: This salty, thin-sliced ham is dry-cured, so no pre-cooking is required. Slice into bite-size items. Be happy to omit for a vegetarian frittata.
- Crumbled Feta Cheese: I like the creamy, salty tang of feta, however a shredded onerous Italian cheese, corresponding to parmigiano reggiano or pecorino romano, would even be scrumptious on this Mediterranean-inspired frittata.
Begin on the Range & End within the Oven
Simply as I confirmed you above, a head-start on the range “units” the egg combination which helps stop a watery frittata. That is essential as a result of while you embrace greens with a excessive water content material, corresponding to zucchini and tomatoes, it’s essential to cook dinner off a few of that moisture.
After about 5 minutes, the sides ought to be effervescent and starting to set, after which you’ll be able to transfer the skillet to the oven to bake:
Now that is in all probability the toughest half! The pan could be very scorching and the combination continues to be very liquid, so use 2 oven mitts and go slowly to switch it tremendous CARE-FULL-Y to the oven.
Bake for about 22–26 minutes, till the frittata is puffy and the middle is not wobbly/moist. Let it cool for at the least 10 minutes earlier than you slice into it—the frittata will proceed to arrange because of the residual warmth from the pan.
Finest Pan to Use
Since you begin the frittata on the range, after which switch it to the oven, a pan that may go safely from stovetop to oven is critical. A seasoned forged iron skillet is ideal right here.
That is the forged iron skillet I’ve, and I extremely advocate it. It’s cheap, comes pre-seasoned, works on all forms of cooktops, heats evenly, and is made to final a lifetime. (Not sponsored, only a true pan fan!)
This 10.25-inch-diameter, 2-inch-deep dimension is what I take advantage of for skillet turkey pot pie, skillet cornbread, sea salt and herb rolls, bruschetta rooster, cornmeal cake, biscuits, and extra. Discuss a helpful pan to have within the kitchen! You may actually use any 10- to 12-inch oven-safe skillet that’s about 2 inches deep.
What to Serve With Frittata
Fruit and a recent arugula salad are straightforward, wholesome sides. Or, when you’re serving the frittata as a part of a much bigger brunch, it might plate properly alongside any of those favorites:
Simple Frittata Recipe (Select Your Add-Ins)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time: half-hour
Complete Time: 1 hour
Yield: serves 8
This straightforward frittata recipe will likely be your new go-to for a wholesome egg-based dish you’ll be able to serve and luxuriate in any time of day. Beneath are my 2 favourite variations, a backyard vegetable frittata and a Mediterranean-inspired frittata. Observe the recipes precisely, or mess around with the add-ins and make it just a little otherwise each time!
Base Frittata Recipe
Model #1: Backyard Vegetable
Model #2: Mediterranean-Impressed
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C).
- In a medium bowl, ideally one with a pour spout, whisk collectively the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Fold in about 3/4 cup of the cheese (cheddar for model #1/feta for model #2), reserving the remainder for topping. Put aside.
- Warmth olive oil in a 2-inch-deep, 10- to 12-inch-diameter oven-safe skillet over medium warmth. Add the garlic and cook dinner, stirring, for about 30–60 seconds (don’t let it brown). Proceed with both model under.
For the Backyard Vegetable Frittata:
- Add the purple onion and candy potato to the pan with the garlic. Prepare dinner for five minutes, stirring often, till they start to melt. Add the purple peppers and zucchini, and season with salt and pepper. Prepare dinner for one more 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour the egg-and-cheese combination over the greens and cook dinner for five minutes, with out stirring, till effervescent/beginning to set across the edges. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese on prime.
- Rigorously switch the skillet to the middle rack of the oven, and bake for 22–26 minutes, or till the frittata is puffy and the middle not wobbles/seems to be moist.
- Switch the skillet to a wire rack, and let it cool for at the least 10 minutes earlier than slicing and serving. Frittata will proceed to set because it cools. Prime with chopped recent parsley, if desired.
For the Mediterranean-Impressed Frittata:
- Fold the spinach, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and prosciutto (if utilizing) into the egg-and-cheese combination.
- Pour the egg-and-cheese combination into the pan with the cooked garlic and cook dinner for five minutes, with out stirring, till effervescent/beginning to set across the edges. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese on prime.
- Rigorously switch the skillet to the middle rack of the oven, and bake for 22–26 minutes, till the frittata is puffy and the middle not wobbles/seems to be moist.
- Switch the skillet to a wire rack, and let it cool for at the least 10 minutes earlier than slicing and serving. Frittata will proceed to set because it cools.
- Storage Directions: Cowl leftover frittata and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Microwave particular person slices to reheat or place slices on a lined baking sheet and bake, coated, in a 350°F (177°C) oven for five–10 minutes, or till warmed all through.
- Freezing & Reheating Directions: It’s greatest to freeze the absolutely baked and cooled frittata (until you wish to freeze the partially cooked egg combination in your skillet, which—for greatest outcomes—I don’t advocate). Cool baked frittata utterly, minimize into slices, switch slices to a freezer-friendly container, and canopy tightly. Freeze for as much as 3 months. When able to eat, thaw within the fridge, and microwave particular person slice to reheat or place slices on a lined baking sheet and bake, coated, in a 350°F (177°C) oven for five–10 minutes, or till warmed all through.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Mixing Bowls With Pour Spout | Whisk | Forged Iron Skillet (or any oven-safe skillet that’s 2 inches deep and 10 to 12 inches in diameter)
- Egg Whites Solely? I don’t advocate utilizing solely egg whites as a result of you’ll lose a whole lot of richness and taste that the yolks present. I counsel utilizing 2 entire eggs and 6 egg whites.
- Milk: Entire milk gives one of the best style and texture, however you’ll be able to substitute lower-fat or nondairy milk in a pinch. Utilizing heavy cream or half-and-half will make for a creamier texture.
- Different add-ins: Persist with 2 to three cups complete add-ins, and use the bottom recipe as the start line on your personal variation. You may pre-cook any greens on the range with the olive oil, garlic, and seasonings such as you do within the Backyard Vegetable model. Common white/gold/purple potato, broccoli, mushrooms, and/or asparagus are additionally nice additions. Prepare dinner till softened earlier than pouring within the egg combination.
- Can I add different meats? Sure, completely. You may add cooked diced ham, sliced rooster sausage, floor sausage, and/or shredded or chopped rooster. Fold pre-cooked meat into the egg-and-cheese combination, or be happy to brown a bit with the garlic/greens on the range earlier than including the egg combination.
- Serving Dimension: 1 slice vegetable frittata
- Energy: 179
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 340.4 mg
- Fats: 12.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.3 g
- Protein: 11.1 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 202.6 mg